Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Kitty is still missing

I'm calling the shelter today, and will stop by and talk to our old neighbors. I wish Cinder would come home. Any prayers or positive thoughts for her safe return home would be appreciated.

Here's a picture of my pretty girl:



And a square just for a "secret project" - does this fit the bill? I'm trying to figure out how best to interpret "fugly" lol! It has texture to it, at any rate!



I have been a lazy recipe poster, so here are a couple to make up for it. Nothing I'm making today (I have some cubed beef and a bottled marinade in the crockpot and a loaf of bread in the breakmaker for the first time) but here are a couple of yummy recipes we've had recently.

This one sounds odd but it is quite good. The sweet and salty compliment each other quite well - and if you dislike the acidity typically in pineapple, this gives you the sweet and the flavor but the acidity is virtually non-existant. A half recipe fits nicely in an 8x8 square pan, and a whole recipe fits in a 9x13 pan. I originally got this recipe from dh's cousin, so I can't claim it as mine, but I highly recommend it. It's great for potlucks, especially served with something like ham.

PINEAPPLE CASSEROLE

Ingredients:
2 large cans chunk pineapple (I like crushed) with juice
1 c. sugar
5 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese (don't use pre-packaged, it won't melt)
1 1/2 c. Ritz crackers
1 stick butter, melted

Directions:
Place 2 large cans chunk pineapple with juice in dish. Mix sugar and flour; sprinkle over pineapple. Top with grated cheese. Mix Ritz crackers and butter. Spread on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

-------------------------------------

And another new one - this one tastes exactly like homemade, from scratch, macaroni and cheese - just with potatoes. Simple, quick and very, very good. Thanks to Bonnie for this one!

Cheesy Hash Browns

2 pkgs frozen has brown squares (I used a large package of regular hash brown cubes, thawed)
1/2 cup butter (I use 1/4 cup)
1/2 cup chopped onion (1-2 tsp onion powder instead)
1 can cream of chicken soup (98% fat free works)
3/4 pt. sour cream (light is fine)
10 oz grated cheddar cheese (I used Cracker barrel 2% extra sharp cheddar)
breadcrumbs

Mix all ingredients together. Top with breadcrumbs. Bake at 350 for one hour.

3 comments:

Deneen said...

Sorry about Cinder, hopefully you will find her.

Yes, that's a fugly square-you "mastered it"

Jewels said...

Aww, come home Cinder pretty kitty.

Uhm, yes, that square is ultimate fugly IMHO, haha

That ritz cracker recipe sounds neat. My mom used to make a mock apple pie with ritz crackers instead of apples. Ever hear of that one? It really did taste like apple pie too.

Kimberly said...

Awww - I hope that you find your kitty soon! I know how hard it is to have a pet wander away and not know what has happened to them.

Love the recipe for the Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole - I have a very similar recipe that my mum has used for years that uses Cream of Mushroom soup as the base and cream cheese instead of sour cream - its been a hit every year at Christmas Eve breakfast after Mass.